Bitcoin – Caution ahead, please take heed – 2 Mar 2014

Posted on March 2nd, 2014 in Caution Ahead

 

 

Bitcoin

We are fearful of the latest phenomenon.  Not for ourselves but the uninformed main in the street.

What is it?

Bitcoin.  Yes, you may have heard of it.  The digital currency that is overseen by nobody but has been getting lots of attraction by a raise in value from 2013 at USD13 a coin, to around USD1,200 a year later.

How is Bitcoin created?  Well, you can create Bitcoin out of thin air through a process called mining.  Mining is the term used for running a series of calculations on a computer to verify the transactions that take place in the Bitcoin network. About every ten minutes, a new block of transaction data is created and the miners who created the block are awarded a few Bitcoin. Does this sound perplexing? Like a blackbox?  Apparently, only 21 million total Bitcoin will ever be allowed to exist, with approximately 12 million of Bitcoin already mined and in current circulation.

You can buy Bitcoin using REAL money.  Or accept Bitcoin as payment for your goods and services.

According to sources, just 47 people own 29% of all outstanding Bitcoin; 930 own 50%. Another 10,000 folks bring the total owned by the largest coin holders to roughly 75%, leaving 25% to be split among about 1 million small-change Bitcoiners.

figure_prohibited_stop_anim_300_wht_8964

What drives the value of Bitcoin?  Manipulation and speculation.

Who accepts Bitcoin as payment for goods? Online gambling websites and a growing number of small establishments that accept Bitcoin in lieu of real world currency.

How do you cash out of Bitcoin?  Through exchanges like Mt. Gox which act as intermediaries for currency transactions, converting wealth from Bitcoin to US dollars to other national currencies, back to dollars or Bitcoin. And that’s how you make money. You heard of what happened to Mt. Gox recently, right? 

Mt. Gox, once the world’s largest Bitcoin exchange, shut down and filed for bankruptcy in Japan on 28 Feb 2014, claiming that  about USD480 million in Bitcoins belonging to its customers and the firm were missing.  Since Bitcoins exist as bits of software, they can be stolen from computers and servers used to run online exchanges, where Bitcoin can be traded for dollars, euros and other currencies

We are worried because there are already Bitcoin ATM machines in Singapore which allows you to exchange real money for Bitcoin.  We fear that unsavvy Singaporeans will be persuaded to part with real money for Bitcoin on the promise that Bitcoin will rise exponentially in value.

MAS does not recognize Bitcoin as legal tender and has already cautioned about the use of virtual currencies.  You have been warned.  Because we care.

Our Best, Always

Like us on Facebook

Share our postings, be our Facebook Ambassador and win prizes!

 

 

1) For Android Phones/Devices 

2) For Apple Phones/iPads 

Available_on_the_App_Store

 

* Download “Empower Advisory” App on your mobile phone/device to get INSTANT Updates on Deals, Events and More!

* Simply Scan the QR Code on the left using your mobile phone, follow the link and install the App!

* If you are already accessing this page on your mobile phone, click on the QR Code, follow the link and install the App !

 
Do you have any enquiries?
Alternatively, you may contact us via the following mode:

Call / SMS / Whatsapp: (65) 8332 4283 LINE ID – empower_advisory | Wechat ID: EmpowerAdvisory